There are many remains preserved from antiquity such as the ancient Plovdiv Roman theatre, Roman odeon, Roman aqueduct, Roman Stadium, the archaeological complex Eirene, and others.
The oldest American educational institution outside the United States was founded in Plovdiv in 1860, which was later moved to Sofia – today's American College of Sofia.
The main objectives were to develop and to prepare Plovdiv’s bid book for European Capital of Culture in 2019.
The organization has a board of directors, which consists of 9 members and an Executive Director.
The foundation also has a Public Council, chaired by the mayor of the city, and a Control Board supervises the organization’s activities.
Plovdiv on the banks of Maritsa, 2nd row: The old town and the Three Hills, 3rd: Streets in Plovdiv, 4th: City Hall • Plovdiv Roman theatre, 5th: Churches and the bath • Mosque • Fountain, 6th: Tsar Simeon 7th: Hisar Kapia later being invaded by Persians, Greeks, Celts, Romans, Goths, Huns, Bulgarians, Slav-Vikings, Crusaders and Turks.
On 4 January 1878, Plovdiv was liberated from Ottoman rule by the Russian army.
It remained within the borders of Bulgaria until July of the same year, when it became the capital of the autonomous Ottoman region of Eastern Rumelia.
In 1885, Plovdiv and Eastern Rumelia joined Bulgaria.
Plovdiv is situated in a fertile region of south-central Bulgaria on the two banks of the Maritsa River.
The city has historically developed on seven syenite hills, some of which are 250 metres (820 feet) high.