The Battle of Chains was the first battle of the Rashidun Caliphate in which the Muslim army sought to extend its frontiers.
The beginning of the eighteenth century witnessed the contention of Kuwait by the Bani Utub confederation.
The Utub had previously been expelled from Umm Qasr by the Ottomans due to their predatory habits of preying on caravans in Basra and trading ships in Shatt al-Arab.
The Bani Utub then relocated to Basra, where they occupied 2000 houses and were described as a powerful group who owned 150 ships which they used for merchant shipping and for transporting goods for Basra's merchants. As a result of successive matrimonial alliances, they were able to wrest control of Kuwait from the Bani Khalid some time during the mid-eighteenth century.
At its peak in 2000 BC, the Dilmun empire controlled the trade routes from Mesopotamia to India and the Indus Valley civilization.
Dilmun's commercial power began to decline after 1800 BC.
Piracy flourished throughout the region during Dilmun's decline.
After 600 BC, the Babylonians added Dilmun to their empire.
In 3rd century BC, the ancient Greeks colonized the bay of Kuwait under Alexander the Great, the ancient Greeks named mainland Kuwait Larissa and Failaka was named Ikaros.
According to Strabo and Arrian, Alexander the Great named Failaka Ikaros because it resembled the Aegean island of that name in size and shape.
Remains of Greek colonization include a large Hellenistic fort and Greek temples.
At the time, Kuwait was under the control of the Sassanid Empire.